Saturday, May 28, 2005

Bitch PhD has a good post up about schooling and whiteness. She doesn't put in about class much, but a post has to have a focus. Read the comments, Redneck Feminist has some good words to say about white guilt. I agree, I mean, feeling bad for ten seconds about how much being poor sucks really is a small price to pay for all the good stuff higher class brings you. I once took a survey, and some of the questions were about whether you thought your race or class had more to do with your education, and I picked class everytime. Due to class, my mom was able to have a flexible job and teach me how to read. Due to class, my parents were able to advocate for me more, and also, they knew how the forms for college went and could give me advice. (my mom has to help a lot of others with their forms,etc) They knew about the importance of the SAT, as they took it, and could indulge me in my constant library fines.

No comments: