Saturday, January 22, 2005

I can't tell you how many times I hear a variant of: "I've taken on too much; it all has to be perfect but it isn't; it makes me overwhelmed and upset, can you give me a pill?"

from Shrinkette. I feel that for many of us are lives have become untenable. Some turn to drugs, prescribed or not, some turn to becoming religious loon bats. I guess we must all break free from the prison of expectations, but of course I don't know how. I'm aware that you can not earn respect, that it is granted, but I still want the respect of other people. It's a bind.

Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore. You have negative emotions? That means you're crazy as a loon! People expect things to be like movies- you sniffle once, and then you get over it magically. That's not so. I feel that there are many small losses in life that take time to get over. The realization you will never be beautiful, the realization that people are evil, the realization that time is passing, and you can never get time back. Those are all small losses that deserve respect, not medication.

I think meds should be used when there's a need, but not for every little thing.

No comments: