Thursday, January 22, 2004

You know, once a chemistry professor said that he believed in God, and while I felt that was unnecessary, I did not feel discriminated against(I'm agnostic, leaning on the side of "There's probably not a god). I guess I am using the liberal definition of 'discrimination'- just because not everyone agrees with me, that's not discrimination. I remember a conservative(?) that could come into a class run by people with different views, and not bitch and moan. He once read something that while not assigned, was on the list of topics. It was about black supremacy or something. Instead of whining and crying, he made his points, and the teacher of the week made hers. They ended up agreeing(Black supremacy is bad) and everyone had a much clearer view of the situation(one of the teacher's points was that some people were pissed off by the terrorism of the day(bombing churches,etc)

He managed to not bitch and moan just because people had different ideas. He made his points in an intelligent manner. I say, write your papers on whatever you want, just back it up with facts, and if there is some real grading discrimination(the fact that your paper was an unorganized spew with no facts will get you a C), complain.

I think the reason that liberalism is more common in college is because of the approach- things are usually assumed to be caused by something that we can investigate and learn about, rather than some inherent evil in what ever the thing less favored is. I prefer this way of thinking about the world because I do have a tendancy to intellectualism. I believe that the less we look into things, the less we can fix them, and that we should learn as much as we can.

No comments: