Sunday, January 04, 2004

Anime Jump has an interesting article on How To Draw Manga- emphasizing that manga is not a monolithic style, and that there are better ways to learn to draw manga than slavishly buying every "how to draw manga' book that falls off the bandwagon. The funny part is that I have the second book that is an example of how not to create a how to draw manga book. I agree about the lack of drawing skill of the artist- it just seems to be a hackneyed attempt to jump on the bandwagon instead of a soulful attempt to illuminate others. (don't blame me- it was a gift)

I think that drawing comics can be great, and we do have a sort of doujinshi culture in the US- it's called web comics and of course, mini comics* . There are whole comics conventions devoted to the small press. Maybe it's not as big as Comike, but it's not like Americans haven't been drawing their own comics for years.

I really long to draw comics, but I can't draw. Back in the day, I used to draw a comic, but the website has disappeared in the mists of the web. Now all I have are the cruddy drawings. And believe me- they were shit. I often desire to draw, but the fact that I have no talent stops me. It's pretty depressing. Comics are a form of communication, and you can't really communicate if you can't draw. But I guess I should cheer up and do it anyway. They don't have to be shown to anyone.

*If you want to make mini comics, do read Pam Bliss' columns on Sequental Tart. They are splendidferous!

No comments: