Friday, January 02, 2004

Today, I went to the mall. I got bell hooks' Rock My World, and Blue Monday: Absolute Beginners. I also saw a little black boy reading a comic book to himself. He was very young and was sounding out the words, so cute! I also saw a much older boy reading a super hero graphic novel, and another teen boy buying a Dragon Ball Z graphic novel. The malls seem to be producing the next generation of comics lovers and maybe even comics creators, all without the help of the direct market. That little boy might not have been in Triple Play(the closet comics shop) but he had certainly been in the mall and discovered a new medium. For comics to survive, it needs new blood. I think comics lovers should be applauding the bookstores for making this possible. The books may be from Japan, but the love of the medium is the same.

No comments: