Friday, August 04, 2006

This post led to a discussion of the good ol' days and how they sucked for everyone but rich white males. I have some anecdotes about that. By interviewing my parents, I was able to tell that their summers really sucked. Dad went and picked cotton in Arkansas(mom wasn't allowed to go, and her friend now says she wouldn't have made a good water girl, although her cousins were allowed to go), and Mom had to go to Mississippi and feed chickens and pick okra. This was in the 60s, as they were both born in 1954. I mean, it's not as bad as lynchings and all that(although mom remembers when she was first allowed into certain department stores) but basic everyday suckiness is a main component of why oppression is bad. Uh..yea, my brain has melted, so that's why this is poorly written.

No comments: