Friday, May 05, 2006

Instead of doing my work, I've been obsessing about comics. I think everybody should obsess about comics. There's something beautiful and pristine about the fact that well, everyone can direct their own movie(well, ok, if they can draw). Comics can of course involve a lot of people, but I think they are at their best, when one person is telling one story. I love comics because they are a visual way of telling stories from that time you dated that girl, and then you broke up, to stories about lesbian fairies. I can't draw, but I have a secret dream of doing autobio comics, or any sort of comics at all. While comics is time consuming, all you really need is a pencil, some paper, and optionally a pen or brush to ink with, so they should be a democratic form of media. I love how no matter how much you keep up with the industry, there will always be some grubby kid with a pen, making some comic you have never heard of. It's bigger in the web, too. There are so many crazy comics you can't look at them all- I follow at least 20 daily, and that's just .000001% of all the quality comics and a much smaller percentage of the nonquality ones. I have to admit when I was a kid, I had a horrible webcomic. It wasn't much to look at, but I was creating, and that's all you can do. Geh, I can't write today,even after resting. In closing, I say, go team comix! (Note: if you're frigging amazing, get your pens ready! When are Lea Hernandez' wonderful women in comics grants gonna drop? June.

(Also, fantagraphics,oni press, top shelf, and of course, tokyopop and viz. Not all the comix companies. But the first ones that popped into my head.)

No comments: