Thursday, June 08, 2006

I was reading My Soul to Keep, and I have to admit, my soul was totally healed. I mean, the child plays with a doll baby, and everyone is the hue of food, and not only that, there are African immortals. I like fantasy and all that, but there's only so much you can take with people of color being at the margins, if at all. Not to mention, the idea that nobody ever did anything kooky or magical or anything in anyplace but Europe or America and only if they were white, kind of grates . I have to admit that I like to read more colorful fantasy and sci fi from people of color themselves, as I like to hear about the culture first hand. Neil Gaiman worked really hard on Anasi Boys, and it's a good book overall, but yea, it's hard to understand culture secondhand.

No comments: