Friday, December 17, 2004

I have a new theory today. My theory is that where ever someone has privilege, someone else must sacrifice for it. For example, if I get cheap clothes, most of the time is is because kids have been sewing them in sweatshops. For me to get cheap clothes, they must sacrifice, which isn't right. For white americans to assuage their fears, they must sacrifice black youth to the jail house. Sure, there may be secondary effects on the people who get the privilege, but they own the effects of what they have done. Secondary effects in this case would be waste of talent, and waste of tax payer money.

I wish that somehow we could have a world where everyone would pull their weight, without exploiting anyone. That of course would be a utopia, but that doesn't mean we can't make the world a bit better.

No comments: