Sunday, September 05, 2004

It's time for wallpaper of the week! Another Utena theme! I just love the art, and the show's theme of 'the awful truth'.

This post (the last one on the page) has a really good explanation of the black view vs the white view of racism. To blacks, racism is a real thing that has effects, but to whites, to define racism is just to try to find a way to condemn certain behavior, but to avoid including the racist things they do themselves. Although I do tend to use racism for real racism, i.e. not the whining of whites when they are critiqued and told to be nice people, so it might confuse people. The problem is that whites can't really *feel* racism so they are pretty blind in describing it unless they make an effort, and they refuse to, and will cry and act like babies when the rest of all tell them to act in a respectable manner. Some may say I am being a little harsh, but attributing the attributes of whites that are attempting to be anti racist to the rest of the whites gives us all a distorted picture.

It'd be nice if all the whites sincerely wanted to get along, and didn't just want to defend their power at the expense of everyone else. But it'd also be nice if wealth was distributed equally, and we all could eat ice cream without getting fat. We shouldn't base our ideas on assumptions that don't fit reality- and one of the awful truths I have learned is that whites enjoy racism.

To a more intelligent person, I'm sure this is obvious- I mean, if they didn't like it, they'd just stop, but I thought maybe it was propelled by unseen social forces or something. I was wrong. Then again, I'm still pretty young, and can recover from my naivete. But I'm still pretty shocked at that idea, that they enjoy hurting other people, or either that just don't care who they hurt, and since I'm so young, my personal feelings are hurt.

Like how dare they hate my race(and me by extension) because of a bunch of BS that has nothing to do with us! Yes, cognitive dissonance(blacks are in a bad position + it can't possibly be our fault despite freely available historical evidence-----> blacks are terrible people. ) Yes, ignorance. Yes, desire to maintain power. But they choose to have these responses. Other white people are able to actually want to get along on everyone's terms, not just white terms, so I just don't see why they'd rather hate us than have a just society. Then again, other people have different values, but it's shocking to me how we have to suffer about their lack of moral values.

So you'll hear me be very bitter and grumpy, as I am assimilating this awful truth. I am also pissed off when women are blamed for rape. If all men stopped raping, that would be like 90% of all rapes gone right there, so whose fault is it? Certainly not the woman's! It's the same stupidity right there.

No comments: