Saturday, September 18, 2004

I was reading this post from ampersand talking about how some white males think that Bush will bring back their entitlement. I think it takes a certain amount of courage to say that. I mean, I'm not saying that if I was morphed into a white male at birth I would be this perfect person. I'm sure, I'd desire an entitlement, I'd desire to have everyone only listen to me, and ignore everyone else. But, it's brave to adknowledge what you want is wrong, that there are higher laws than what would make you feel good. That justice is more important than fighting to take back some mythological time before 'political correctness' where you didn't have to pay lip service to the idea that people different than you were even human.

It must be hard to know that you didn't get everything on merit. I of course am not poor, but my parents didn't act like it made me better than other people. I recognize that I have a better start in life than others- better nutrition, better schools, I didn't have to work during high school and give part of my money to my mom for the running of the household. People treat you better if you have money. But it'd be ridiculous to say that I got everything on my own, that's why I get mad.

It seems disrespectful to ignore the society that birthed you, that gave you everything it had, just so you can feel good about yourself. Other people work hard to make all the good stuff we have. Other people have often suffered so we can have the life that we have. And for someone to pretend that they did it all on their own- it's ridiculous.

I guess it's obvious now- I watched the end of Fruits Basket. Without spoilers, I'd like to say- "ah, if only we could solve everyone's psychological problems with just a bit of empathy". I'd like to read more of the manga. Towards the end, the anime is a bit rushed trying to get all the zodiac members in, and suchlike. It's still a good anime, even with Honda Tohru just being a bit too shiny and wonderful, and I'd recommend you seeing it.

No comments: