Wednesday, September 01, 2004

As an African American woman who blogs, I'd like to say this. This whole 'where are the female bloggers' thing is really annoying. Women blog plenty- see who is doing most of the livejournals. It's just that when a woman(or a black person) blogs about politics, they act like it's somehow not political. Just because a blogger doesn't blog about stupid stuff like where Kerry was on Christmas of 1968 or what color Bush's underwear is doesn't mean they aren't making a political statement. Also, people tend to see only blogs that blog about politics every single post as political blogs, which is kind of silly- my blog is in a very large way about politics, and just because I may jump in every few posts and talk about good anime or how the cafeteria at my school now has a foreign drinks machine, doesn't make my blog non political.

Then again, my definition of political is probably different than other people's. It's like people acting like manga aren't comics, and that if someone is reading manga, they aren't reading 'real comics'. Just because my politics aren't bound up in the party intrigues, but in issues that I feel need to be addressed doesn't make my blog non political. I agree with Trish Wilson's comment about how progressive males need to stop asking and start linking.

I mean, saying that there is sexism is a good start, but action is always the best policy. Just talking can raise consciousness, but after two or three times, some solutions should be on the table. Also, I don't think male feminists should act like they can tell female feminists what should be on their agenda, and what they should suggest. Males are welcome to contribute, but acting like they own the place should be discouraged. To create a new world, people will have to change themselves, I think.

No comments: