Saturday, August 14, 2004

(More Utena Spoilers for the Black Rose Saga) Anthy's line at the end of Vermin is startlingly prescient. Her line is "If it's for someone you love, you keep lying to yourself for as long as it takes", which is a central theme of the show- self delusion. Of course, she is near the center of the plot, so of course she might be able to grasp this.

I really enjoy this show, as I identify with the characters- well adjusted people can't be duelists after all! I especially like this arc's parody of a psychologist, and the fact that he has hit on the idea to harness the raw anger that teenagers often have. I don't think Utena would be able to work with adults. While adults are gullible as well, it's very hard to have an excuse to make them stay in the same area all the time, such as a boarding school- college students like to go off campus and explore. Also, when you're a teenager, everything seems huge.

If the students were older, maybe events like Nanami ordering Keiko not to attend the party where she might see Touga, or dismissing her from all clubs because she once walked with Touga wouldn't be such a big deal. But in a teen's world, it is huge- all the feelings are so intense. I know my feelings haven't faded, and I'm 20 already! It's terrible, you know. The worst time of your life, which is why I guess I have a high school complex. I wonder if I'll have a college one as well? Oh well, I have bad luck.

No comments: