Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The GOP is evil. Of course, while I'm aware that most blacks stay away from the Republican Party for a reason, I just can't understand their thirst to have it understood that they are amoral dirtbags. Of course, I just don't understand why many whites in general are so eager to showcase their ignorance. It's like they think no one else's ancestors and history merits respect at all. Like I don't know anything about the Hmong, but I wouldn't go around saying "Well, those Hmong should stop sponging off of welfare! We saved their asses in the Vietnamese war, and this is how they repay us?"*, because I'm present enough to realize that knowing two (incorrect) facts isn't enough to critique people. But whites will go on, and say the most insulting things, although the only thing they know about blacks comes from rap videos. I'm not saying that blacks aren't complicit in the production of rap videos, but it's kind of your responsibility to not take entertainment as the only truth, you know?

So don't tell blacks how to feel about stuff they actually know about and you don't. We'll decide when we 'get over' slavery. We'll decide for ourselves which names are appropriate for our children(When I was a kid, I really wished I had a black name- Shannon's not only a white name, but a boring one. Couldn't I be a Jenny or something cute at least?) We'll decide for ourselves whether we are working hard enough. We'll decide for ourselves what party we should vote for. If we vote for only one party, that's our business. We'll decide for ourselves what offends us. Sure, blacks will differ, but what will remain the same is that we'll decide for ourselves what to think, and we don't need whites to say we should be grateful because at least we're someplace 'civilized'. The problem is that many whites thinks the narrative centers around them. It doesn't. We do not have to be white, or to think like whites to be valid people in our own right.

Also, I'm constantly confused by whites offering defenses for slavery, and then saying they had nothing to do with it. Some Africans may cut off their daughter's clits, but I don't say "Well, at least they'll be chaste" and "The Arabs do it too!". I say, truthfully, that I do not understand that aspect of their culture, but it seems bad to me on the face of it, as it seems likely to cause infections. If you seriously have nothing to do with something, you don't need to lie or make excuses about it.





*This is VERY factually incorrect. They fought for us during the Vietnam war, and also, it's silly to assume they are sponging off welfare.

No comments: