Friday, May 18, 2007

"The problem, simply stated, is that one must believe in the existence of the person in order to recognize the authenticity of her suffering"- Andrea Dworkin, Right Wing Women pp. 20-21.

Even though I am nearly 23, I was able to read a book on feminism. I'm busily absorbing the good bits, putting the parts I disagree with on the shelf(they may be useful some day). I don't need any special condescending treatment! Colonize This was a book *written* by young feminists. We can even write our own books! Heck, bell hooks wrote her first book in college!

So take that! Note: read the Beauty Myth at age 14. I may not be acquainted with all the theories in the world, but I think it's good to work hard to stretch your mind and learn things. As a young feminist, I like being grim! It fits my personality well. Reading stirring polemics and link blogging is much more my style than being fun. Snooty shannon notes that lived experience is all well and good, but through the lens of white women and those others who have totally bought into identity as a bought good, you get the whole annoying whining and moaning about how super special they are, because that is feminism to them, because they have no other way to experience it. It's like trying to discover medicine without the scientific method. Not gonna work.

No comments: