Sunday, April 09, 2006

Today I went to the Walk for Women's Lives, so I'm totally exhausted. It was vaguely exhilarating to score free t-shirts and chapstick in the fair atmosphere before the march. I would like to note that a conservative would totally care about women's rights if I hadn't worn a shirt with an allusion to the sexual organ of a male. And if I didn't have that crazy hair, and the scarf on my head that makes it oh so difficult to communicate with me, of course. A black reverend noted that women's rights were human rights and that we would not apologize or compromise our rights. And then we marched. It was hard to keep up the tempo of the chants- my favorites were 'not the church, not the state, women must decide our fate" and "pro life, that's a lie, you don't care about women's lives". It wasn't as hot as usual, so it was easier to march. My favorite signs were "republican against gov't intrusion", "don't like abortion, then educate about birth control", abort Bush(one of the girls I rode with had that sign, and she got a thumbs up from a waiter looking on from a building) and I also liked a pregnant women who had a picture of her fetus taped to her, and the words 'we're pro choice'. When we got back to the capitol, some people spoke on abortion, trans rights, and how it's not Bush's America, it's our America.

BTW tomorrow, there is a pro immigrant march. Plaza Fiesta, 9 AM. Oh yea,and a homeless guy said that women don't have enough homeless shelters when we said we were marching for women's rights.

No comments: