Friday, November 12, 2004

I really have no sympathy for conservatives. I'm sorry, but areas of study studying humanity are going to be more liberal, because it is popular to try to have new ideas. We've already heard "Whites are superior" "Women don't deserve to be studied" ,etc. That's old news. The new hotness is to study all of society. So the orientation is anti conservative- conservatives make up some idealized society, and pretend society really is like that, and get mad when reality intrudes. Liberals look at the real society, and then make up an idealized society that they want to make it into, and since the liberal approach involves looking at the actual society first, you'll see researchers of the actual society being more liberal. Maybe conservatives should look at the actual society first, and then have their idealized conservative vision of it?

An interesting weirdness here is the assumption that university professors don't have real world experience, usually parroted by conservatives- who think that telling teens not to have sex will prevent teen sex, and that shooting people's brothers and sisters doesn't make them filled with anger and desire for revenge.

My personal experience is that some of my professors will mention god, or something, but not in a conservative way. Basically, they personally believe in their particular god, but you won't see them lobbying the school to not teach evolution or to ban the worship of people who have other gods. My favorite professor from a political viewpoint was my sociology professor. He was probably liberal, but sometimes he'd pretend to be conservative so that we'd see both sides.

Of course in my college, we also got real sex ed in health class, so what do I know? An interesting point I see is some people's math bias here. Like apparently if you do something with numbers, it's automatically more important and better than if you do it with words. Of course, an intelligent person would note that psychology majors don't have to take a statistics class for nothing, and that many social science disciplines back up their theories with hard numbers, but in slagging off anyone who wants to actually learn something about the world instead of just parroting a bunch of BS you don't even know is true, that gets lost. I wonder why.

However, I always wonder why conservatives even bother whining about this sort of thing. I'm black so when I talk about real problems, I get pull yourself up by the bootstraps. However, a bunch of fat cats that get respect even though they can't think worth a lick expect all sorts of special privileges. Hey, guys, why don't you just teach at the Bob Jones Universities of the world and leave the decent places up to us? I mean, separate but equal is better than the separate but unequal you want for us.

No comments: