Friday, November 26, 2004

Here's an article about John McWhorter. I like how it makes the point that most black folks, not just those getting rich off of bad mouthing other blacks, like hard work and thrift. Another good point is that many whites are mediocre, yet get all the good things of American life, and so, it really makes no sense at all that blacks automatically have to be better- whites are accepted at all ability levels- whether they can barely string together a sentence, or whether they are about to be awarded the Nobel Prize for really clever thinking. So that's what I want. I don't want to have to work three times as hard to get the same respect. I just want the same respect that other folks get, and those other folks don't even work for it, either.The thing is that I want actual equality, not provisional acceptance, if you do this, if you do that, etc.

The thing is that if we had real equality, and there was no racism of any kind, no one would be listening to McWhorter's antiquated ass, because there wouldn't be a push to make excuses for white behavior. Of course, the idea of searching people because of their skin color would seem crazy to people in that world, just as we think the concept of searching people because they have different eye colors or ear lobe shapes seems weird. Also, whites wouldn't have a concept of themselves as white, so they wouldn't be able to oppress people.

What I mean is that if they didn't think that their skin color entitled them to certain things, and disentitled others to certain things, there would be no desire to oppress others based on skin color. So they would merely see any racist lies as ridiculous, and not crave to believe them. It's like if someone came up to you, and said "people with blue eyes kill more people than people with brown eyes, and so people with blue eyes should be all locked up". You'd hear it, but it wouldn't stick in your mind, because you'd have no desire to believe it. You certainly wouldn't vote based on that piece of information.

Of course this is just me trying to avoid doing my statistics, but it's always good to think of utopias when you are young, so when you get older, you know that there are possibilities. Like I'm really shy, but like, if I can dream of a world without racism, I can dream of a world where I am more outgoing,eh?

No comments: