Saturday, October 21, 2006

Using the powers of having a swollen lymph node, I managed to find out why I don't like diet feminists! It's because a huge social movement is.. NOT ABOUT YOU! And to me, the idea of a movement centering on me would be weird in the extreme. Of course, I see movements as groups connected by what they do. And of course my prototype of a movement is anti racism. I've noticed that there seem to be fewer diet anti racists. You don't see as many people saying "if an anti racist movement doesn't allow me to watch Mind of Mencia I don't want to be in it!" Different culture it sprang from I guess. White culture seems to be all me me me. Not to be rude, but that's my conception.

Also I think movements have boundaries. If something is about doing whatever you want, it's not a movement, it's you doing whatever you want. That can be fine and dandy, but it's not a movement for social change. I'm not for big tent feminism. I'll let you into the tent if you got a difference in race,ability,gender performance,sexuality,etc, but you just want to do whatever you want without any sort of regard for the consequences or why you might be doing that? Later for that.

No comments: