Saturday, October 15, 2005

It's time for Fruits scans! I wish there was an American Fruits. The best we have is the Fruits community, but they often have a lot of posed photos, not what people are really wearing in the streets. I saw a lot of good black American street fashion at the Taste of Africa thing I went to yesterday. It was great. The spoken word performed by Atlanta University Consortium(schools like Spelman, Morehouse, and Clarke Atlanta) students was a little raunchy(there were kids there! One of the kids, a 7 year old, played the piano during the intermission. He was actually pretty good) Lots of applause for a poem advocating abstinence, a poem against the down low, and my favorite, an updated version of the revolution will not be televised, which was a big performance involving 5 poets, who each had solos, and also, a hurricane Katrina poem talking about how blacks were left to die. The dancing was great- we had a solo dance which was wild and funky, and an all too short performance by Emory's African dance troupe. The drumming was fantastic, although one of the guys fell down in the middle. The food was amazing, with meat pies, sausage gumbo(a lot spicy), and a zillion different types of rice. There was also that spongy brownish Ethiopian bread, that I forget what it is called. It was all good though.

There was also a hilarious play by Georgia Tech students in which some elders try to be corrupt, but are stopped by a clever elder woman, and the chief. It was great when the guard chased the corrupt elders out with a knife. One of the elders was played by an Indian, which I thought was a bit unusual, as the play was probably set in Africa. I saw a lot of big chunky jewelry being worn, and I might try to branch out from my usual small style jewelry, especially in earrings. However, I'd need some tutorials to learn how. Hmm...

No comments: