Sunday, October 30, 2005

Congress has cut food stamps for many people. I'm a middle class person, but my food stamp experience is a bit different from the typical "I saw a person buy [some food people think they don't 'deserve' because they are poor]" experience. When I was a child, my aunt was very ill and was unable to work. She has recovered now, but at the time, she had 7 kids living at home. Her husband worked, but they still received some assistance. My experience is basically standing in the food stamp line with her, and her kids. That might not make me a good compassionate person, but I really urge people to donate to food banks all the year round to help reduce food insecurity. Lack of nutritious food can cause people to be susceptible to illness, and to be unable to learn properly in school. My favorite food bank in Atlanta is the Atlanta Community Food Bank, because they were really nice, and helped us with supplies and advice for the community garden. We donate the produce grown to the food bank.

No comments: