Tuesday, October 14, 2003

It's interesting that I have found some articles articulating my vague discomfort with pop pysch. I really don't believe in it, as I have noticed it seems a lot like the religious fads I sometimes see- like WWJD, the prayer of Jabez or fasting(for protestants, I mean). Everyone gets all excited about it, and it's the whole new thing, and then it dies down.

However, pop pysch seems to be a bit more damaging because most people don't know that say, magazine articles or books have a bias whether intended or not. They are slanted to what seems to sell more, and outrageous claims and selective use of journal articles seems to sell more than careful documentation and more measured claims.

Also, the fact is that no one thing can be the way as people vary. So when people try to fit everyone into one mold, it doesn't work. For example, I'm not very spiritual, so a spiritual answer might not work for me.

So I say that everyone should approach things with caution and use their critical thinking skills.

No comments: