Thursday, October 30, 2003

I watched Bowling for Columbine today. It was good newstainment, agit prop and prank theater all at once. I am slightly confused at the controversy this movie has caused. When we watch the news, we do not get an unbiased picture. Someone decides what footage to put in, what facts to present, what angle they are trying to play to. Not to mention, there is the issue of Foxnews, which may not be 100% accurate.

The focus on the culture of fear was really interesting to me. I remember this year, walking down the streets of downtown Atlanta in broad daylight, and seeing this girl who I was walking to the car with(because she had left her costume for the sci fi convention in the car) freak out because this man said "hey, nice stockings!" to me. She was white and the guy was black, think about it. I also remember a lot of school hysteria. From cheerleaders fearing the freaks to parents fearing all of us, there was a lot of fear and craziness going on. I remember thinking it was ridicolous.

Also, here are two opposing* sides on the factual accuracy of the film, and also, I reccomend an essay about the need for truth to be told in memoirs in this month's Believer magazine.

*However, the statement here about Moore not being sued by anyone is inaccurate, although this is relatively new news.

No comments: