Sunday, September 24, 2006

I am reading the book Self Organizing Men. I feel vaguely embarrassed that I thought that I would receive a zine, and was surprised that I got a nice book with paperback cover and nice type. I really love the type. Anyway, I am nearly done with it, and maybe I should review it, since Jay sent me a free copy based merely on random emails. I'd like to note that I am not an expert on trans issues, and my involvement is mostly just to avoid popping out of hat boxes, yelling that nobody ever expects the body parts inquisition.

I thought it was a nice mix of academic work, personal essays, what I think is a poem, artwork, a dialogue, and probably other bits I have forgotten. Being self centric, I really was interested in parts that I had personally experienced. By which I mean once I saw Scott Turner Scofield do a performance(and once he taught our gay history class) and so I thought smuggly that Emory let him by with only a few warnings around the area about how the show might contain nudity, and also, I saw a picture of Nick's cute baby on the interweb, so followed his story about transmotherhood with interest.

But don't get me wrong. The voices I hadn't heard before interested me too. I'm reading an essay called Trans Incoherence now and think it should be photocopied and handed out in women's studies classrooms. I mean, the teacher should buy a copy of course! Then again, maybe the students should all buy their own copies? Yea, that's the ticket.

Some stuff confused me, but it'll probably really set a light off in someone else's head. I also liked the essay with the woodcuts. I really don't have anything else to say about it,though.

No comments: