Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I've been trying to get the book Status Anxiety for a year. It was always checked out from my school library. Someone for some reason had had that book for over a year. I couldn't exactly recall it because I didn't need it for a class or anything. Yesterday, finally, I looked it up, and it was in. So today I went to the library. At first I wondered if there was even a HM821, all I could see was HM251s. Then I stumbled upon the fact that the call numbers skipped several hundred, and finally found the 821s. Then I had to drill down to the letters. I could see the Cs, and the Es, but there wasn't a D. I looked again and again, dragged a stool so that I could look a bit higher, but the book was simply missing. As I nearly resigned myself to actually buying a copy, I looked hopelessly at the overflow shelf. All the social psych books nearly in a row...and there it was. I had finally found it.

I think this story says something about my character, and I worry it's not very flattering.

No comments: