Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I have no sense of humor so I don't like April Fool's Day. Then again, if I was the lucky person who never was the butt of cruel 'humor', I'm sure I'd love it. Although something awfulis actually pretty funny this April Fool's Day, opting to be funny instead of stupid and unfunny.

I actually like humor, but only things that are funny. I don't like slapstick humor much or grossout humor. Slapstick is ok if the gag is well crafted, but I'm not going to be all ho ho ho that guy just got kicked in the nuts. Grossout humor, well, I never really was ever fixated with my bodily functions, so when someone farts, I'm just thinking 'oh, someone farted. That was supposed to be funny?"

I like word based humor best, also character based humor. However, those are the most rare types of humor because they are much harder to do, than other types.Humor based on a character's human foibles must be set up and the character must be developed, which is much harder than having a baseball hit someone in the nuts.

My most disliked type of humor is humor with hostility behind it. Everyone knows the type. This person will say the most horrible things about someone and then hide behind 'it was a joke'. Well, people like this, you are not funny. If you have something to say, I think it is better to either have the bravery to say it right out or the sense to keep your trap shut.

No comments: