Thursday, October 14, 2004

I think it is silly that people think that the onus is on black people to fight white racism. White folks, at least those over the age of 18, or possibly 21(I can't decide on what age a person should be responsible for making up their own mind- but it's one of the two ages), are responsible for their own opinions. While some black folks may not be helping, especially those who say "Hey, massa, we all stupid(except for me) You're off the hook"- no one makes them believe that. There's no *rule* that whites can't make their own minds up on whether they want to think rap videos are documentaries, or whether they want to think that blacks are naturally inferior. Because my underlying assumption is that white people are much like me- just different human beings with different upbringing and look, I feel that like me they can figure things out for themselves.

For example, I'm pretty well off. I could choose to believe that poor people are poor because they are bad people. But I have chosen not to believe that. This of course doesn't make me a perfect anti classism person, and I will fuck up, I'm sure. But I have chosen to at least try not to be such an asshole about it.

Now, a lot of things are out of our control- where we were born(I bought a book called Global Woman today, but haven't started it), how tall we'll be, or what others think of us. But I believe that we can control our behavior to a great extent. For example, I bought a manga, Hot Gimmick today. While the consumer culture, and sex roles(girls love cute little books!) have some part in my decision, I could have chosen to resist- and say "No, I do not need to read slightly twisted, and fun manga books to cheer myself up on a cold day"

I may exult in getting new socks(my socks from sock dreams are even better than expected!), but I know when I need to try to act like an adult, and get serious. Anyway, in an aside, I wonder why they decided to change to sock dreams from fetishize me. I never bought any socks before, but I always liked looking at them.

No comments: