Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I don't get people. Like apparently some time around here it isn Columbus Day and sometimes you hear folks telling the Native Americans to get over it or something, but come in- if white folks can go around saying "Yay! Our guy 'discovered' America" from that long ago, then Native Americans can put in their story too. I could see ignoring history if it was everyone who had to ignore it, but like this, it's like eating a big fat piece of cake in front of hungry people- just rude.

I also think remembering history makes you less likely to be a genocidal maniac. Like since I looked at lynching photos and felt deep shame(and didn't fucking WHINE about it, for goodness fucking sake. As if feeling bad was something that I never should have to do!) I'm less likely to think that murdering people in public and sending postcards to my friends is a good thing to do.

Too bad there isn't a book like 'crazy white people explained' that could explain how feeling kinda bad for a few minutes is like so awful. I feel bad when I hear about sweatshops, but I don't go off on third world twelve year olds for making me feel bad. It's my own damn fault if I buy sweatshop clothing! I am responsible for my own damn actions. So to me, it's white people's own damn fault if they want to be racist. Like there's no rule saying that they have to be, and some white people go around not being racist, so obviously there must be some reason why they are. It is a mystery, but I lean towards the "they are just jerks" hypothesis.

No comments: