Saturday, September 24, 2005

I do not support these troops. I do not care if you hate the enemy or if you think that somehow posting grisly pictures of people you shot on the internet will stop the jihad. (I remember a picture of a Nashville Islamic center saying: stop the hate, stop the revenge, stop the war) You do not break Geneva convention rules. Ever. How dare they show the deaths of people and think it's funny? How dare they? I hate war. It just makes monsters out of men. How can we ever make amends for this? How can we ever say we're sorry? How can we ever fix this? I don't think anything in the world can make amends for this. It's terrible. I feel responsible somehow. Like if only I had worked harder, we could have stopped this from happening.

It's terrible. It's not like the deep shame I feel when I see photographs of lynchings. Yes, I feel shame that those men faced the camera, smiling after a murder. I feel shame that humans can even show their faces after this. The people doing this crime aren't showing their faces, but I feel like I somehow have blood on my hands. How could I explain this to an Iraqi kid whose parent's death was mocked on the internet? I couldn't. It's almost like they'd be justified in hating me. I know I'd hate me too.

No comments: