Friday, September 23, 2005

I am starting on When affirmative Action was White, and it is dense. Every page is full of facts, figures, quotations from congressional reports, analysis of the balance of power between the republicans, democrats and different factions in those parties, basically, I think I might have to save up for my own copy. Also, one of the reviews interests me, because of the fact that he simply doesn't get what the book is about at all. The author is not describing a conspiracy as much as the reality of politics. Even though there are well meaning white liberals in both parties, they also have to contend with racist southern constituents who will rage at any step forward for equality, the fact that to get bills pushed through, they have to compromise with others who may have racist views, and the like. I guess an idea that this person doesn't have is the fact that sometimes even if you only want to please your racist constituents or not seem like a Communist, and don't go around crackling HHAHAHAHA, DIE BLACKS, DIE, your policies can still have bad effects that disproportionately affect black people.

No comments: