Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Quotes

"The cancer of fear has taken over. We have government by fear. We have a fear economy. We have a landscape of fear. We have a mass media that sells it. Any effort to reverse the spiral of fear must begin with individuals taking initiative to examine their own fears, asking whether their emotions are being manipulated, and taking bold steps to test the validity of their fears" - William Upski Wimsatt, No More Prisons, p.99

"And it is never without fear - of visibility, of the harsh light of scrutiny and perhaps judgment, of pain, of death. But we have lived through all of those already, except death. And I remind myself all the time now that if I were to have been born mute or had maintained a vow of silence my whole life long for safety, I still would have suffered, and I still would die" Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider, p. 43 in the essay "Transformation of Silence"

"Black and Third Works people are expected to educate white people as to our humanity. Women are expected to educate men. Lesbians and gay men are expected to educate the heterosexual world. The oppressors maintain their position and evade responsibility for their own actions"Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider, p. 115

I really think I should get my own copy of Sister Outsider.

No comments: