Friday, February 18, 2005

Racist America by Joe Feagin is a really good break down of how racist attitudes are ingrained in American society- see rare racist quotes from Franklin, Jefferson, and more! See rare court cases! Thrill to see how neatly Feagin makes a case that it's not all rainbows and puppies, and no, time doesn't stop and magically erase hundreds of years of prejudice!

I easily obtained this book by going to a library. It took me less than ten minutes to find this book, and it wasn't even the one I was looking for. In less than a day, I am nearly a hundred pages in- your mileage may vary- but even from the first ten pages, someone could learn a lot of stuff.

LOL, I like how the first reviewer thinks Feagin is black. I am almost sure he is white, although this is based on hearing a person with a name like his give a talk to years ago. And I love the whiner who is crying because Feagin doesn't make up that whites were all goody good gumdrops. We have photographic evidence, we have books that they have written their thoughts in, we have all sorts of evidence that those people had those ideas, and we have surveys and research and their own books and own words to show that whites still have those attitudes.

You want to believe whites are perfect angels from heaven? That's your business, but you left evidence dudes. Either you get with reality and say that those whites in the past were wrong and work to dismantle the system they created, or be thought of as terrible people for all time. It's YOUR choice, and you have to live with the consequences of your own action or inaction. I hate how privileged people think that they should NEVER be called on their bullshit.

You know, while I was ranting, I surfed over to Vision Circle and saw that someone linked a piece from Black Commentator about how blacks are so quick to believe bad things about themselves. It's like the opposite with whites- like they expect to all be called non racist because two white people got their shit together. Of course, when you're constantly told you're inferior- either you accept or reject it, and the same with being told you are superior.

I reject the inferiority claim because it makes no sense to me that someone would be superior to me because they are a bit paler. But when you feel inferior, you tend to start to tear at yourself, and try to rationalize it. I can't accept the idea that I am inferior, because in many parts of my life, I out score, out work, and out smart many of my white peers. Many of the whites I see complaining about how it's black people's fault that they can't do this or that- you know what? they aren't achieving.

This isn;t the same with blacks because there is actual real discrimination. For example, my mom often is annoyed by racism, but she is working hard and getting her masters. My grandma may feel the burn of racism- but she volunteers hard in the community. What do these whites I mention do? Not much at all. They certainly aren't involved in research projects to help others and go further on their career path like me. Sure, a few achievers might whine- but for the most part, it's the whites who are just plain insecure because they know they are mediocre who whine.

Otherwise they'd be too busy to care.

No comments: