Sunday, February 27, 2005

I have the odd feeling that I have become 'blacker' than I was before. I think this 'blackness' is what bell hooks calls 'critical consciousness' i.e. the ability to detect and resist bullshit. I of course only have a very small amount of this, due to my young age and clumsiness at everything ever. Anyway, this guy is showing a large amount of this in his piece on Condoleezza Rice. Just having a black person in there, if they are just the same as the white people there, that's not real change, that's not real growth. That's not what I want.

On the other hand, I read this and had trouble having much sympathy for the poor whites. I understand they are stuck in a system that fucks them over- but they beg and clamor for it. They want to think they are superior to 'niggers' and 'beaners' and 'towelheads' or whatever so much that they bend over and take it from the man! I'm sorry, dudes, just because the man looks like you don't mean he like you! Shoot- do you think Bush up in his fucking big mansion cares about health insurance for trailer park babies? Do you think the big fat corporate heads are going to give all the whites good jobs if they put all the blacks out of work? Fuck no. Their class issues aren't going to be fucking resolved by hating us- but they do. There were poor whites under Jim fucking Crow! Even if they managed to return us to that, they wouldn't get the lives they seek. Even if they scared all the Hispanics out of the country- the lives they seek would be out of their reach.

What they need to do is to unite with the rest of us, because they are no better. But no, they hate us. So it's really tempting to tell them to go fuck themselves. Yes, a few don't, but I don't see how a few decent people cancels everyone else out. So at this time, I can't be helpful. I can't feel any compassion for people who hate me, and don't think I'm a real American, who think America should be whites only. I can't love my enemies.

No comments: