Monday, May 03, 2004

Instead of unpacking, I'll talk about race instead. I was reading my mother's Oprah magazine while we were driving home, and in an article on how today's teen girls are confident and smart, I noticed an interesting tibit. It said something like Fifty seven percent of college students are girls, so admissions standards are lowered for boys. I thought "If that is true, where is the outrage?"

It is true that there are preferences for boys, and there's no outrage. Where is the browbeating, the 'those unqualified applicants are taking our rightful spots' rhetoric, the howls and the screams of sexism? I mean, if affirmative action is so wrong and evil, why is it only OK if it applies to men(or to poor people, as has been suggested)? I think I just got another n word wake up call...

No comments: