Friday, May 14, 2004

As many blog readers know, I am strongly anti racist. This is of course because of the values I hold dear. I admire hard workers, even though I know society has different ideas(it's not the girl holding down two jobs to make the rent and feed her baby that is admired). So when folks wanna sit down and talk about black folks without doing the work, I get pissed. Know why folks don't want you to say the n word, we didn't just come out of the sky to annoy you.

Also, a note about racism. Folks don't have to be saying n word to your face for you to be bothered about it. You see it in their assumptions, in their words and actions, and it hurts. You see other wise well intentioned folks parroting that sort of garbage rhetoric, and it hurts. You see folks assuming you are less than, when all you got is a problem(just like anyone else) and dark skin. You worry about where you can live where the racism isn't as upfront. You see movies and TV shows defaming your race, and you read editorials in the newspaper about how all your race are just making things up, while giving sympathy to people who haven't experienced anything near discrimination. (as I call it, comparing a hang nail to the holocaust. ) Also, I note how bad stuff that happens to other folk is respected. I used the Holocaust, because the horror of the Holocaust is sacred. But talk about slavery, a time period in which millions died(although less efficiently), and folks act like it's no big deal, that we should be glad that at least we're not in Africa(and that's real rhetoric too)

Not to mention, no one ever really whines about being made to feel guilty about the Holocaust. Germany didn't whine about this, when they were bitch slapped back into sanity, they decided that Nazism was evil, but here we are today, still trying to pretend that slavery was benign. People whine because people want them to be cognizant of their privilege I try to be cognizant of my privilige(I'm not poor, and I'm a girl, so I don't have to worry about being masculine) and don't gripe about it.

Yea, I don't get the satisfaction of talking about how the poor are all lazy and stupid, but to tell the truth, even like whites who admirably try to rise above their privilege, I still have it. People try to pretend it was done away with, and now they have negative privilege- bull and shit.

No comments: