Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In praise of generalizations:

People are down on generalizations but I say it's great. Usually we can't see the forest for the trees- the story of racism is obscured in a million antedotes about how once a black person looked at you funny and how your person of color friend never is angry about your racism. The story of sexism is obscured with my dad cooks! or being yelled at in the middle of the street never bothered me! and the whole system that we need to attack disappears under the weight.

It's nice that my dad changed our diapers and swung us around as babies, but does that destroy the wage gap and the fact that the price of daycare most often falls on the woman? No. I'm glad that you are enjoying the pride month festivities, but gay people still need marriage rights!

No comments: