Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Well, it seems I'm going to have to wake up at 5 am. Before that happens, share my confusion at why Scalito is 'racist'? Uh...'little scalia"? Would Alicia be racist too? I don't get right wingers. They aren't racist if they talk about how people are ch*nks or the n word, because that's 'just a joke', but making a nickname to compare one guy to another guy is the worst thing ever? What? To me, Scalito sounds like if you took the common African American surnames of Johnson and Williams and came up with Johniams as a nickname. I think my problem comes from the fact that I really can't tell Italian Americans from other whites. I actually was a bit confused, as when I first came across Alito I was hoping he was a Hispanic. Maybe I'm sheltered, but the worst thing I have ever heard about Italian Americans is when my grandmother used an anachronistic term to refer to a Italian American's garden(I promptly was like grandma!) There aren't tons of news articles about how Italian Americans are all in the mob, and are to blame for everything from hurricanes to the time that that hot girl at that party laughed at you. Nor do people act like Italian Americans are taking Supreme Court positions from deserving British Americans. I have to admit I'm at a loss.

Especially since aren't these the same people who say that we shouldn't be mad at Bill Bennett's crazy ass or at guys who say the n word or people who write articles about how black people are to blame for everything from earthquakes to that back hair growth? Like what? Why are they all the sudden so 'concerned' about racism against an ethnicity that isn't even discriminated against? Couldn't they put that energy into reading about structural racism or something important?

No comments: