Friday, November 11, 2005

This article shows interesting parallels to the black situation in America.

"Every rejection - even those that may not be racially motivated - undermines your self-confidence. You feel you will never make it because you are Arab

It is this feeling that I feel I can't explain to whites. Yesterday, a girl I know was like "OMG! This girl I know thinks the people at McDonald's are racist because they didn't give her a cup, and they said you people!!! Just because a group is all black doesn't mean people are racist!!" I have to admit that I did say without thinking maybe they just hated college students. I realized my mistake quickly, but then I couldn't think of anything to fix it. I thought of saying something about being ignored in banks. Geh, finally I made an off hand comment later about how South Park needs to mock people who go to schools they know have minorities but still complain about them, but I don't think I entirely fixed the stupid...

Anyway, it might not have been racist, but it sure may feel like another brick in the wall- a wall that you feel you can't get over. Also, stupid white people ruined my enjoyment of Cowboy Bebop, as I felt uncomfortable for the whole rest of the evening.

"People always talk of the need to 'integrate' Muslims. But the youths are French. Why should they need integrating?" asks Samia Amara, 23, a youth worker near Paris.

Mr Sabeg agrees that "integration" is just hot air. "What does it mean? Are some French people supposed to integrate and others to be integrated?"


I never got why people want us to always act exactly like whites. Sometimes whites may have good ideas, but sometimes they are dumb ideas, or sometimes they are only preferred because whites have more power. They have good points on the youth being French- you can't say that only whites are French if people have been there for two and three generations.

No comments: