Tuesday, April 20, 2004

John Scalzi makes some important points on the Hispanic Menace', and really takes the people who believe there is one to task. I agree. I mean, George W Bush's nephew is Hispanic(Jeb's son) and the Bushes seem to be doing just fine to me. I don't see the need to have English as an official language- America has never had an official language to my knowledge, and despite the waves of immigrants speaking everything from Polish to Spanish, English seems to be the de facto language.

Sure, sometimes I hear Koreans conversing in Korean, Hispanics in Spanish, and one Polish girl I know has hear Polish spoken, but they all seem to be able to know enough English to get themselves around. Maybe occasionally I'll run across someone who does not understand English- it's hard to learn a foreign language when you're older, even with immersion.

No comments: