Friday, April 16, 2004

I found out that some episodes of Brother, Dear Brother (Onii-sama E) have been up on Bittorrent. I guess that's not very useful for people who have never seen it at all since it starts from the late thirties episodes, not from episode 1, but it starts right at where I need it to start, because I don't have those episodes on tape. I like animesuki.com because it's not just a site for people who think they deserve free anime, but seems to somewhat adhere to old fansub ethics- i.e. it's to spread anime to those who can't speak Japanese. I also applaud people who fansub older series that might not see the light of day. I don't like it when people fansub series that are near guaranteed to get liscenced- what's the point when you could be showing a whole new world of anime to people, and causing a demand for them to liscience it. Kodomo no Omocha was licensed, and now many other people will be able to enjoy the series because of the demand. This doesn't mean "Man, they are getting a lot of money off of me downloading Cowboy Bebop" because more demand isn't caused by people who think they deserve free anime.

I think licensing is important because anime is a group effort sort of thing that needs money to be produced. If no more money, no more anime. The licensing fees anime companies pay in the US help make more anime in Japan. Also, some anime companies in the US actually finance new anime in Japan. Prices are getting lower and lower too, so there's really not that much excuse to whine about price. There are resources like dvdpricesearch.com to help you get the cheapest anime possible. I don't have any money. I have to buy anime when there are sales, or get used anime(but beware of bootleggers, I mean, if you're going to rip off anime, why are you paying for it?) or borrow anime, but you don't see me acting like I'm entitled to my hobby of looking at cartoons, for god's sake.

In other news, I think animesuki is a bit quick to put torrents of SM back up, yes, the liscence is expiring, but it just seems too soon. I think they should put Stars up because that is never coming to the US, but is a really good season.

No comments: