Saturday, April 10, 2004

I think that poetry doesn't have to be deciphered in the way they teach you in schools to be enjoyed. Yes, it gives you a richer appreciation of it if you analyze it deeply, but even just reading a poem and understanding what it means to you can be a rich experience. Because a poem is not about getting the 'right' answer, it's about extracting meaning from beautiful words- your own meanings are usually the ones that are most potent to you. I half remember a poem by Nikki Giovanni- some lines were before our mettle is tested we easily consider ourselves strong/before discovering our children want not elaborate things/(I forget a line here)/it's easy to say what should have been done. Even in my incorrect paraphase, I feel that this resonates in my life. It truly is easy to lay blame and not consider what's really going on.

Something that confuses me is how we dash to lay blame, even though that won't help the problem. A girl is crying because her boyfriend is a cad. We say "You choose him, deal with it"(blame on her) or "He's a jerk anyway"(placing the blame on him) but does that help the situation at all? Does it really matter who is wrong and who is right when we're in the middle of a fight?

But back to poetry, just enjoy it. If you find you don't like one poet, try another. Just enjoy it.

No comments: