Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Today I used my social skills to reassure someone. I feel that this would be a good example of what to do. The girl said Do we really have to dance in front of everyone? (she seemed concerned). I said "Well, very few people care about the inauguration of a new University President" Others went on to say "Yea, like, noone will be there" and so the girl was reassured.

What I did: I did not act like her concerns were stupid "Who even gets nervous about stuff like that?", I instead attempted to address her concern(that she would be embarrassed in public) Neither did I say "Get over it, you'll have to do it anyway". That is a poor way of handling someone who wants reassurance. Why? Because her concerns are rebuffed, and you also indicate that you personally don't care about her feelings.

This is just a small portion of the ways that you can learn not to be a giant jerk.

No comments: