Sunday, March 28, 2004

I just found out that Coffee Will Make You Black has a sequel, and I'm psyched. But I have a dileimna, should I buy it used or new? On one hand, buying it used would be better for the pocket book, on the other hand, shouldn't I support authors bringing different perspectives into the world? I mean, even if a million people were getting it used, the sales figures would only show the people who got it new, and that's who counts when making detriminations about what they should buy next.

Also, this leads me into more confusing territory- namely, what does one owe to their community? On one hand, I could be like "Just because we have similar skin colors doesn't mean we have an obligation to each other" and there's a certain logic in that- blacks are very diverse people, and just because two people are black doesn't nessicarily mean they have anything in common with each other. Onthe other hand, it's pretty isolating to not believe in a sembalance of community- blacks seem to have always gone to their greatest victory by being unified instead of being like "I've got mine, now you get yours". It reminds me of something I heard(don't think I'm preaching this as the gospel truth, I just heard it) is that members of certain ethnic groups(in this version it's Koreans, in another, it may be something else) band together so that members of that certain community have enough to build buisnesses on and such.

I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but if it was, I can see how that would be a bit more successful than everyone floundering around alone hoping to scrape up cash alone.

No comments: