Monday, August 18, 2003

Something that interests me lately is the idea of the communist choice*. It's when people (or even you) think you have a choice, but you don't. For example, migrant farm workers. You could say they choose to work in bad fields like strawberry picking, but without education, and connections and knowing the language, they really can't get a better job. There's also no time off where you can get an education, either.

But people think they choose to be poor, even though it's not the case. Why people think there are no communist choices, that every man is a master of their own destiny is a mystery to me.


(*Communist Choice A situation in a game where you are presented with a choice, but if you choose one of the choices, you just have to choose again until you choose the choice the game wants you to choose. (I did not come up with this term; I don't know who did, but I claim no credit for it.) )

No comments: