Sunday, August 17, 2003

I don't like people who are like goldfish. They seeming live outside of time, outside of causes and effects. History doesn't matter because it happened before you were born. I wonder if it is because I am so young that history seems so near, but things that happened before 1984 were important. I mean, they put a man on the moon, for goodness sakes.

It seems weird to think that noone has a context. That people are all individual actors without family or friends or culture. That when many women decide to live on their owns to live on cheeseburgers without buns that there's no greater context. That all of human history occurs in a vacuum without the past flowing into the future.

I see the past and the present as a big story. There are causes and there are effects. My mother and my father lived barely streets apart. If one of them had moved when they were teens, would I have been born? How would my life have been if my grandfather had never been working for the department of defense? Would father still have gone to college and got such a good paying job?

I guess I'm a strange person.

No comments: