Thursday, August 28, 2003

Context is very important in how you are viewed. I have been seen as a doctor, a college student, a teen mom, a little kid, a church going girl, and near everything else because of context. If I am wearing a white lab coat and in a hospital, I'm a doctor. If I'm walking around on a college campus, I'm an educated sista, if my cousin's kid is bothering me for candy in a store, I'm a teen mom, if I'm at a church picnic, I'm a Christian.

So don't let anyone say to you that context is not important. You can get treated differently because of context. I once got thanked for my good work by a man in line with me because I was wearing a lab coat. He might not have spoke to me if I was wearing a halter top and makeup and appearing to be a sexy teen.

People's whole lives depend a lot on environment, but we ignore the effects. If you're surrounded with church going people, it looks like everyone goes to church, if you live in a town with intellectuals, what 'everyone knows' changes. We think that just we determine the course of our lives. It's very tempting, I guess to think that we are the masters of our own destiny.

I'm not saying we have no choice in how our lives go, but our choices are bounded by the environment we are in. Since I am an upper middle class American, I chose to come to college. If I lived in Nepal, that might not have been an option. I hope that this has made sense and given someone something to talk about.

No comments: