Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hey, here's a interesting looking West African epic. I may search to see if my school has it. This is possible because I think my African history teacher referenced it. Here's a version of the epic for young kids. Also, here's a version of a story I enjoyed as a child- Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In People's Ears. I have to admit that I really liked the Childcraft books(in which I read that story). Those books also made me familiar with the stories of Anansi the spider. I have Anansi Boys on my bookshelf, but am saving it. All this talking about Africa reminds me of my African history class. This white guy was like 'When I moved to the US from Liberia when I was 9, all the other kids asked me whether I had seen lions or giraffes, and I tried to explain that I had lived in a city by the sea and the most wildlife I had seen was a monkey, but they just went back to their stereotypes'. That shows how ingrained our ideas can become before we are even a decade old..

No comments: