Thursday, December 08, 2005

A touching Xmas post. My mom collects black santas. We only have one white santa- a family heirloom from when they didn't make black santas. I hope someday they'll produce black fairies- I loved fairies as a kid, and would get those little mass produced statues, but I was always disappointed that they didn't have any black ones.

In other race news, the case for integrated schools is made here. I went to an integrated school as a child, and you'll see it show up on me as I have a great amount of skepticism that white people are somehow better than regular people. It's because if you eat together, sleep together, eat your boogers together, it's hard to say that somehow when you grow up you'll be drastically different. But I was still sad when my white friends get socialized into the whole racist asshole stage. It's depressing, because you're like "didn't we run around in the mall and hit each other in the head with books together"? It's so hard for me to see a difference that I don't understand why others don't.

I don't mean that in the silly poppy 'let's pretend everything is equal no matter what" way, but really, in the South, we're near literally related. I bet if we could make a big family tree of the whites and blacks in the South, we'd find that we were all distant cousins. So as much as I am annoyed at the outgroup, part of me still sees us as all the same. The fact is the only reason whites are the outgroup is because you can't exactly have a group with one group in it that hates everybody else, you know? I don't think we can all be together when one group insists it is special, above the rest of us plebs. It's sad.

No comments: