Monday, December 19, 2005

I think I like this podcast. I think podcasts will be my new addiction. In their interview, the author talks about how white people need to be open to criticism by other groups. This is true. Some whites have actually tried to act like I'm racist, by pointing out the fact that whites are in fact, not angels from heaven. I'm a black person. We get criticized more harshly by ourselves than anything I have ever said about a white person. I think coming to terms with the idea that white supremacy is a myth is a good way to start seeing white people's humanity. It's hard to see others as human if you can not see them as people with flaws. Our society sets up this dichotomy in which white people are all things good, with a few exceptions, and black people are all things bad, with a few exceptions, but that is not a realistic picture of either one of these groups. We need to see the 'dark' side of white society, and the bright side of black society so that we can talk about our whole society as it really is. You can't fix society if you can't see it realistically. And pretending that white people's behavior is not a legitimate thing to be criticized when you feel free to criticize blacks even though the most you know about black people is what you've seen on TV is just straight hypocrisy.

Also, here's more on the Morgan Freeman controversy.

No comments: