Friday, July 17, 2009

I'm an outlier as well. I always have to say, 'shut up, mcjudgeypants'. It takes me forever to drag my body with its aching, hollow feeling bones around the block. You, with your ability to run ten miles on one leg, are also an outlier, but I'm always being beaten with your example. I can always recite your accomplishments. You work 70 hours a week, and then come home to your perfectly organized house. It only took you an hour to organize it, and it takes you ten minutes a day to clean it. Every day you wake up at 5, run 10 miles, etc. I can't remember all of them, but I'm sure someone will fill me in on them whenever I discuss my real life.

I like to think that you're some sort of Mary Sue that people create for themselves. Your home might be organized, but it really took you twenty hours to get it that way. Maybe you do really run at 5 am, but only 2 miles. Of course, I sometimes see your actual embodiment, running faster than I can ever imagine. I'm in your wake, in your shadow. The words of my track coach from middle school come back to me 'she can't compete.'

No comments: